wxWidgets: memory of a month(+list of complaints)

Recently, with some motivation, I left Qt and used wxWidgets for a while. I used Code::Blocks, applied Bind<>(), and so on. I enjoyed the coding, but eventually I returned to Qt. During the time, I experienced......:

  • If the application is frozen, task switcher doesn't work at all, whatever it is - Alt-Tab, Windows-Tab, taskbar click..... Nothing works. This is first time I've ever seen something like this
  •  You need some time to be accustomed to properly use wxDateTime. On calculation you use wxDateSpan, and its structure is confusing
  • In wxGrid, if you have too many rows ans set the layout side to 1 or higher, the grid wraps the entire window(......). The widget seems to calculate its size based on the sum of column widths and row heights. It must be a bug
  • Unicode adoption seems not working properly. I converted interface strings to UTF-8 using wxConvUtf8 and tried to put the string via SOCI, and Firebird complained whenever the string has some Chinese characters
  • It seems to be due to Windows control itself, but it's too slow. The fame of GDI is not void.

And above all, Code::Blocks broke down from time to time, and well, just guess what it would feel like if you experience all above.
For your reference, my development environment was as follows:

  • wxWidgets 3.1
  • MinGW-w64 6.3.0 release 1
  • Code::Blocks rev10922(built at Nov. 20th. 2016)

Now I'm back to Qt, and I'm porting all my wxWidgets apps to Qt now. The apps are faster, and it's more convenient. Viola!

No comments:

Post a Comment

PostgreSQL vs. SQLite: read & write in multithreaded environment

The start was humble. I needed to cache some data, and I thought just push them to database table and give index, and the rest will be datab...

Popular in Code{nested}